Friday, October 8, 2010

Wisterian Bondage


Wisterian Bondage
Thematic Photographic #118  click on the link to see more interpretations of Branched


Wisterian Bondage is so named because what looks like huge coils of rope twisting around and around the trunk of this very tall tree and tying it to the ground is actually a wisteria vine.  If you look closely you can see the little bits of purple and green WAAAY up at the top of the tree.  The stormy day just added to the sinister feel and the name was a natural.

When given an assignment it is my nature to stretch the boundaries of the theme.  I generally like to do something a little unexpected and out of the ordinary.  When Carmi posted the theme this week he made a point of telling us that how we interpret a theme could be as "out there" (hey that's MY phrase!) as we wish.  He said that branches didn't have to be something that originated as a seed, that the goal was to stretch those boundaries.   

Contrary brat that I am, that's not what I want to do this week ... go figure huh?  The thing is, the theme he chose was "branched" ... and it happens that trees are one of my very favorite subjects.   I know ... we see trees everyday, but how often do we really look at them?  I think I can present you with a few shots of 'branches' that are all different from each other and hopefully, thrown in a few surprises.

Sweet Gum





 This osprey is just begging for a caption














Still Standing  that's the Morris Island Lighthouse in the background



As much as I hated the idea, we had some pine trees taken down a couple of months ago.  The were huge and brittle and hanging over the roof ... and hurricane season was upon us.  It was fascinating to watch these guys in action.  They tied off the branches and then used the ropes to lay the branches right where they wanted when they cut them.














Chaotic Good  Came across this tree out on the marsh near the lighthouse.  Wonderful old tree will all the personality of the Whomping Willow without the attitude.

11 comments:

  1. That osprey picture makes me want to research them. It is fantastic. So is the Wisterian Bondage.

    Whooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great pictures ,the wisteria bondage is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast in the first one.
    I also like the lighthouse pic a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GirlFren, you are one hell of a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtakingly awesome. Trees are very special and it would be a lonely world without them! They are often familiar yet powerful and very often strange! As you have captured! Thanks Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, and like you said none upstaged by any others. I especially like the one with the bird perched on it, and the black and white one with the lighthouse in the background is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your branches, MS!
    very, very cool shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures, I love birds of prey so guess my favourite. I just realised that I hadn't checked out your blog, I have changed that now, it's great and I will be a follower in a second.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog, I'm not a fire sign, guess again I think I'll be surprised if you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really love the light house with tree in foreground! beautiful!

    (we've had many trees cut down on our property...hard to watch them go...but it's kinda cool to watch how easily those guys climb those trees...cut...and move about up there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for visiting and the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete